Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Snapshot Dialogue...or "And then the Yovo leads an impromptu parade of children around Ouidah"


7/4/12
Yesterday, I had the best French speaking experience with strangers by far of my whole trip. It all started when I decided to head out of the neighborhood to the Marche Zobe right as the primary school was finishing for the day; for your ease of readng, I will translate the 6-block long conversation that commenced when an entire herd of school children started following me.
Herd of children: Yovo yovo, bonsoir. Comment ca va? Ca va bien, merci. Donnez-moi un cadeau. *Ok, this had to be in French because it is the song that ALL of the kids sing when any white person walks by. Basically, in English it would go like this: White person, white person, good afternoon/evening/ How are you? I am good, thanks. Give me a gift.*
Julia: Can I teach you a new song? About your ABC’s in French? (starts singing, all the kids scream, laugh, run away, and then come back)_
Herd: Can you give us money?
Julia: I don’t have any money. I am a student. We’re poor. Can you give me money?
Herd: No. 
Julia: Because you’re all students right?
Herd: Yes. But do you have any money for us?
Julia: Nope. But you don’t have any for me either, so we’re even. Do you like school?
Herd: Yes. Yovo, do you have any gifts?
Julia: Sorry, no gifts. It is good that you like school. If you study hard in school, then maybe you will get lots of money. And you can call me Julia instead of “yovo.”
Herd: Ok, Yovo. (sees another white person on the street) Is that your sister?
Julia: No. My name is Julia. What are your names? (everyone introduces themselves)
Herd: Julia, do you have any candy?
Julia: Nope. Do you? 
Herd: No.
Julia:(to a little girl carrying a giant stick) What are you going to do with that stick? (laughter ensues, no answer)
Herd: Ok, we’re going now.
Julia: Alright, see you later.
For the honor and glory.
(pictures will come when I get home...they take 7 years to upload here)

No comments:

Post a Comment