Sunday, September 29, 2013

Les aventures dans la terre de la fortune et la jeunesse



In fact, I have not necessarily met too many young people here at Lac Charland, nor does dog mushing leave you particularly rich, but Stan and I DO have neighbors with the last names La Jeunesse (the young) and La Fortune (the rich)!

So I made it! I arrived in Quebec on Thursday, and just like when I flew through France last year on my way to Benin, my brain overdosed a bit on all of the signs written and conversations being spoken in French. I knew I was in the right country when I looked at the TVs around the airport and they were all playing hockey (I am being serious, not making a stereotypical joke) instead of the typical droning of CNN in US airports.

Well, my little bubble of Canadian happiness lasted all the way through the long customs line until I got to an agent and was sent to secondary questioning in the immigration room. That is when things got dicey. It went something like this:

Agent: What are you doing in Canada?
Me: Staying with a friend for the winter.
Agent: How old is your friend?
Me: Uh…..60 something?
Agent: How long have you known your friend?
Me: A year or so…
Agent: Have you met him in person?
Me: Well. No. But we skype!

That’s about the time that he took my cellphone and proceeded to read everything-every text, every email, every stupid little sticky note that I make to remember book titles and funny thoughts-while I sat in the waiting room, thinking about what sort of body language says “I-am-not-doing-anything-wrong-so-I-am-not-nervous-but-in-fact-you-are-starting-to-make-me-anxious-but-at-least-in-Canada-you-blatantly-read-people’s-emails-instead-of-sneakily-doing-it-like-my-country-does”. That took a lot of thought, so the HALF HOUR that he spent reading really flew by…Then he threatened to call my mom and dad (would they have loved that or what!?), went through my bags, and then decided that I was actually too boring of a person to detain any longer, so he let me go. Poor guy probably went home and told his wife about the 20-year old girl who ran away from home to live with an old guy she met on the internet. Super.

Anyway, Stan introduced me very quickly to musher life after we drove two hours to his chalet and finally went to sleep at midnight…5 hours later in fact. At dawn, I donned (ha, see how I did that?) my first pair of long underwear and headed out with Stan to harness the first 10 dogs for our A-team (lest you get the wrong idea, I also put on other clothes). Well, if you want to see mass hysteria, come to a dog kennel right before they are about to run, at watering time, at feeding time…ok, basically if you want to see mass hysteria, just come to a dog kennel period. Every day all 28 dogs must be watered in the morning and fed at night…and it isn’t like a zoo where you just turn on the hose and throw some meat in a cage, we are taking care of athletes. Everything is measured, monitored, and repeated the same way each day. It can take awhile, and could probably get mundane if you didn’t feel so damn accomplished once all the tasks are done for the day.

Oh, and if the easiest way to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (something I am doing now given I have left one of the five countries in the world that use Fahrenheit) is multiply it by two and add 32, the best way to figure out the amount of poop you pick up at a dog kennel, take 28 and multiply it by however darn many times they feel like. I am going to come back a poop expert though, because poop is a big time indicator of health in a dog, so you never just pick up the poop, you give it a good once over. In six months, if you ever need someone to spend some quality time with your crap, I’m your gal. But only if it pertains to your health…I don’t look at poop just for fun.

However, one of my favorite stories of the first two days of musher life is a poop story. After the first run, Stan and I were getting the dogs out of the harnesses and back in their spots in the kennel, when Blue-the biggest dog in the kennel-who was still harnessed on the line, decided to take a crap right there. We thanked him for his contribution to the process of putting dogs back, and kept working on the other dogs. A few minutes later,  Stan asked me “Do you know where Blue goes?” and I, not even trying to be cheeky said, “Well, I guess wherever he stands.”

Of course, Stan meant where he goes in the kennel, not where he goes crap.

Well, it is a pretty fast learning curve here at Miortuk, because in that first day, I learned both.




It's puppy time! Meet Yoda and Darth!


My camera died, but you can get a little taste of kennel crazy!

Today I went for a run through fall. It blew my mind. 

For the honor and glory.


1 comment: